Blueberry Protein Pancakes with Vegan Cream
Fluffy blueberry pancakes drizzled with maple syrup and vegan cream. A luxurious way to start a lazy Sunday morning. So delicious and an easy way to get the calories off to a good start.
Meal Plan Recipes
Blueberry Pancakes with Vegan Cream
By: Debra Carey
There’s no better way to treat oneself for breakfast with something a little sweet, than with pancakes. Adding in blueberries and protein powder, you’re super charging this version of the classical fluffy American pancake. Blueberries are a unique superfood and king of the berries. Combined with protein and egg, you have a powerhouse breakfast that tastes soooooo good!
- 40g plain flour (or gluten free flour)
- 20g hemp or pea protein powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 45ml almond or oat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 tsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1/2 Tbsp vegan cream (oat or soya)
- maple syrup or honey to taste
Add calories with:
There’s already quite a lot of calories in this recipe but to boost the mix itself, you could add a mashed banana or an additional egg. You’ll need to experiment with the flavour of the extra egg as it could overpower the recipe. Remedy this with a little more vanilla essence.
Toppings are the best way to add calories to pancakes. You can try adding more fruit, fruite compote, whipped cream, coconut or chocolate chips. Good old chopped nuts will also pack in the calories and extra protein.
A quick guide to calories, macronutrients and micronutrients for this recipe. Percentages are based on a recommended 2,000 calorie diet. Grams (g), milligrams (mg), microgram (ug/mcg).
- Calories: 426 kcal 23% 23%
- Carbs: 53.02g 20% 20%
- Sugars: 11.26g 13% 13%
- Protein: 19.62g 39% 39%
- Salt (Sodium): 327.52g 16% 16%
- Total Fat: 19.38g 28% 28%
- Saturated Fat: 6.25g 31% 31%
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6.09g 0% 0%
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.2g 0% 0%
- Trans Fat: 0.02g 0% 0%
- Cholesterol: 179.08mg 60% 60%
- Fibre: 6.94g 25% 25%
- Calcium: 238.23mg 30% 30%
- Magnesium: 30.94mg 8% 8%
- Potassium: 242.36mg 7% 7%
- Iron: 6.33mg 45% 45%
- Zinc: 1.57mg 16% 16%
- Phosphorus: 233.44mg 33% 33%
- Vitamin A: 132.37iu/mcg 17% 17%
- Vitamin C: 7.18mg 9% 9%
- Thiamin B1: 0.1mg 10% 10%
- Riboflavin B2: 0.31mg 22% 22%
- Niacin B3: 1.17mg 7% 7%
- Vitamin B6: 0.22mg 16% 16%
- Folic Acid B9: 29.26iu/mcg 15% 15%
- Vitamin B12: 0.65iu/mcg 26% 26%
- Vitamin D: 1.42iu/mcg 28% 28%
- Vitamin E: 1.83mg 15% 15%
- Vitamin K: 23.13iu/mcg 31% 31%
Step by Step Instructions
In a bowl combine the flour, protein powder and baking powder until well combined. Set aside.
In a separate bowl lightly whisk the egg and milk together until frothy. Add the vanilla extract ad whisk again to the same frothy consistency.
Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients (flour, protein powder and baking powder). Fold gently until combined. Then fold in the blueberries.
Heat the butter and oil in a non-stick frying pan. Dollop a third of the mixture into the pan and cook on each side for 1-2 mins or until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make three pancakes. Top with vegan cream, extra blueberries and maple syrup if you like.
People Who’ve Made This
“Nothing says ‘Sunday’ quite like fluffy blueberry pancakes topped with cream and maple syrup. A lovely hot cup of coffee and the Sunday newspapers (digital version of course). This is such a nutritious treat. Go on … spoil yourself!”