Soup with Toast & Avocado
This recipe is for a broccoli and spinach soup but you could have any type of soup you like. Adding the toast with avocado will boost your calories and provide you with some good healthy fats.
Meal Plan Recipes
Soup with Toast & Avocado
By: Debra Carey
Broccoli and spinach soup is a classic soup that’s full of vitamins and minerals. Feel free to have any soup you like. Try sweet potato and carrot soup, corn chowder, ham and pea. Tahini gives it a buttery flavour and silky texture.
The key to this dish is the toast with avocado to boost the calories and gives you some excellent healthy fats. Remember toast is easier to digest than untoasted bread.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 leek
- 4 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 bunch (6 cups) broccoli, chopped
- 170g (6 cups) baby spinach
- 1/3 cup parmesan, grated
- 2 Tbsp tahini
- 4 slices wholegrain bread, toasted
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup radish sprouts
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Add calories with:
Tahini is good for adding calories so you could always add a little more. Alternatively, add some ground almonds. This will thicken the soup but not too much.
Creme fresh or Greek yoghurt is another alternative for topping the soup with just before serving. Plus some shavings of cheese, ones that melt at low temperatures like soft goats cheese are best.
You could also melt some cheese on top of the avocado toast for an extra calorie boost.
A quick guide to calories, macronutrients and micronutrients for this recipe. Percentages are based on a recommended 2,000 calorie diet. Grams (g), milligrams (mg), microgram (ug/mcg).
- Calories: 394 kcal 20% 20%
- Carbs: 41.35g 16% 16%
- Sugars: 6.01g 7% 7%
- Protein: 15.24g 30% 30%
- Salt (Sodium): 645.72g 32% 32%
- Total Fat: 22.07g 32% 32%
- Saturated Fat: 3.88g 19% 19%
- Monounsaturated Fat: 12.35g 0% 0%
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.16g 0% 0%
- Trans Fat: 0g 0% 0%
- Cholesterol: 4.49mg 1% 1%
- Fibre: 11.82g 42% 42%
- Calcium: 313.67mg 39% 39%
- Magnesium: 134.34mg 36% 36%
- Potassium: 1209.7mg 35% 35%
- Iron: 5.86mg 42% 42%
- Zinc: 2.27mg 23% 23%
- Phosphorus: 283.43mg 40% 40%
- Vitamin A: 1675.02iu/mcg 209% 209%
- Vitamin C: 166.08mg 208% 208%
- Thiamin B1: 0.24mg 22% 22%
- Riboflavin B2: 0.41mg 29% 29%
- Niacin B3: 3.43mg 21% 21%
- Vitamin B6: 0.07mg 50% 50%
- Folic Acid B9: 267.38iu/mcg 134% 134%
- Vitamin B12: 0.08iu/mcg 3% 3%
- Vitamin D: 0.3iu/mcg 1% 1%
- Vitamin E: 4.36mg 36% 36%
- Vitamin K: 388.66iu/mcg 518% 518%
Step by Step Instructions
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add stock; bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, Parmesan, and tahini. Let cool slightly. Season with salt and pepper.
Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.
Top bread with avocado and radish sprouts. Season with salt and pepper, squeeze with lemon, and drizzle with oil.
People Who’ve Made This
“One of the most nutritious meals I know and very very tasty. Lots of green veggies, good fats and fibre. Plus a big hit of Vitamins A, C, B9 and K. So it’s so good for you.”