Toasted Cheese & Tomato Sandwich
Also known as grilled cheese and tomato, this is a classic sandwich that really hits the spot when you want a speed but substantial lunch.
Meal Plan Recipes
Toasted Cheese & Tomato Sandwich (Grilled Cheese)
By: Debra Carey
This is perhaps one of my all time favourite sandwiches. It needs to be toasted so that the cheese can melt and ouze out all its loveliness when you bite into it.
Experiment with additions such as basil, which compliments tomatoes perfectly. Avocado is a wonderful edition as well.
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tomato
- 55g cheddar cheeze
- 55g gruyere or mozzarella, grated
- pinch dried basil
Add calories with:
Avocado is the perfect calorie addition to this sandwich. Full of good fats, Vitamins C, B5, B6, E and K, plus a good amount of Folate and Fibre. They contain no cholesterol or sodium and are low in saturated fats. Fo perfect to add calories rather than more cheese.
A quick guide to calories, macronutrients and micronutrients for this recipe. Percentages are based on a recommended 2,000 calorie diet. Grams (g), milligrams (mg), microgram (ug/mcg).
- Calories: 489 kcal 24% 24%
- Carbs: 32.48g 12% 12%
- Sugars: 4.48g 5% 5%
- Protein: 21.5g 43% 43%
- Salt (Sodium): 794.1g 40% 40%
- Total Fat: 30.71g 44% 44%
- Saturated Fat: 12.5g 62% 62%
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8.15g 0% 0%
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 7.64g 0% 0%
- Trans Fat: 0.26g 0% 0%
- Cholesterol: 59.25mg 20% 20%
- Fibre: 1.98g 7% 7%
- Calcium: 524.83mg 66% 66%
- Magnesium: 42.9mg 11% 11%
- Potassium: 258.52mg 7% 7%
- Iron: 2.5mg 18% 18%
- Zinc: 2.84mg 28% 28%
- Phosphorus: 377.57mg 54% 54%
- Vitamin A: 340.19iu/mcg 43% 43%
- Vitamin C: 8.43mg 11% 11%
- Thiamin B1: 0.45mg 41% 41%
- Riboflavin B2: 0.46mg 33% 33%
- Niacin B3: 3.11mg 19% 19%
- Vitamin B6: 0.15mg 11% 11%
- Folic Acid B9: 115.01iu/mcg 58% 58%
- Vitamin B12: 0.77iu/mcg 31% 31%
- Vitamin D: 0.34iu/mcg 7% 7%
- Vitamin E: 2.34mg 20% 20%
- Vitamin K: 10.6iu/mcg 14% 14%
Step by Step Instructions
Sprinkle salt on sliced tomatoes and let drain. This helps it stay a little drier so the tomatoes don’t leak all over the bread.
Spread mayonnaise on the outside of each slice of sourdough bread. Mayonnaise helps the bread get toasty, whereas butter will burn before the cheese is melted all the way.
Place a slice of cheddar, tomato, basil on each slice of bread and sprinkle with gruyere. Add in avocado as well if you’re having it.
Place, mayo side down, on a heated skillet and fry until golden brown. Turn sandwich over and fry on the other side. Both sides should be equally browned and the cheese melted just enough to squeeze out the sides of the sandwich. Tip: To speed up the frying process, cover the pan for a few minutes, this will help melt the cheese a bit faster.
People Who’ve Made This
“Heavenly comfort food that’s high in Calcium, Phospherous and Folic Acid. Tastes great and gives you the calorie boost you need.”