Dahl with Rice & Coconut Cream
A warming, comforting red lentil dahl that’s full of flavour and nutrition. Vegan, gluten-free and vegan. Plus, it’s easy to make in under 30 minutes.
Meal Plan Recipe
Dahl with Rice and Coconut Cream
By: Debra Carey
This is a very simple recipe to make with a little preparation but essentially it’s all simmered together and the coconut cream makes this a luxurious consistency.
Use ready made stock or stock cubes to keep this simple. Perfect for lunch and is vegan, gluten-free and healthy with lots of Vitamin A, Folic Acid and Iron.
It also freezes well into portions so you can grab some to defrost in the morning, ready for heating up at lunch.
- 1 1/2 cups dry red lentils
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 heaped Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/3 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper
Add calories with:
Additional coconut cream will certainly add in the calories but also throw in some cashews or almonds for a protein and calorie boost.
Top with greek yoghurt or sour cream. Plus sprinkle with pumpkins seeds for another boost.
A quick guide to calories, macronutrients and micronutrients for this recipe. Percentages are based on a recommended 2,000 calorie diet. Grams (g), milligrams (mg), microgram (ug/mcg).
- Calories: 285 kcal 14% 14%
- Carbs: 38.8g 15% 15%
- Sugars: 3.87g 4% 4%
- Protein: 13.84g 28% 28%
- Salt (Sodium): 486.31g 24% 24%
- Total Fat: 9.88g 14% 14%
- Saturated Fat: 7.15g 36% 36%
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1.09g 0% 0%
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.96g 0% 0%
- Trans Fat: 0g 0% 0%
- Cholesterol: 0 mg 0% 0%
- Fibre: 7.1g 25% 25%
- Calcium: 52.26mg 7% 7%
- Magnesium: 53.48mg 14% 14%
- Potassium: 585.23mg 17% 17%
- Iron: 5.49mg 39% 39%
- Zinc: 2.05mg 21% 21%
- Phosphorus: 199.83mg 29% 29%
- Vitamin A: 691.01iu/mcg 86% 86%
- Vitamin C: 31.04mg 39% 39%
- Thiamin B1: 0.49mg 45% 45%
- Riboflavin B2: 0.17mg 12% 12%
- Niacin B3: 2.06mg 13% 13%
- Vitamin B6: 0.41mg 29% 29%
- Folic Acid B9: 250.67iu/mcg 125% 125%
- Vitamin B12: 0iu/mcg 0% 0%
- Vitamin D: 0iu/mcg 0% 0%
- Vitamin E: 1.17mg 10% 10%
- Vitamin K: 8.71iu/mcg 12% 12%
Step by Step Instructions
Rinse lentils under running water. Chop the onion, garlic, ginger, bell pepper and carrot.
Heat oil in a pan and saute onion for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, carrot and bell pepper.
Add all spices, lentils and 3 cups of vegetable broth or water. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
Finally, add the coconut milk and cook a further 5 minutes or until the desired thickness of the dahl is reached. Longer if you want a thicker consistency.
Season with black pepper and salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Serve warm with basmati rice, potatoes or naan bread. Garnish with fresh herbs.
People Who’ve Made This
“A warming and nutritous meal that is perfect for lunch or a light meal. Packed with Vitamins A, B1 and B9.”